Friday, February 13, 2009

Skip This Post If You Ever Plan on Eating Again





Oh the things you can learn from the New York Times! Today's lesson: A maggot or two never hurt anyone.

An opinion piece printed this morning turned my attention to a vomit-inducing pamphlet produced by our very own US government. The title is too boring to print here, but the purpose of the pamphlet is anything but dull. It's meant to list the contaminants allowed in various food products.

What contaminants, you ask? Well here's just a short list . . .

A 100 gram container of Apple Butter is allowed to have up to 4 rodent hairs, a mold count of 12%, and 5 whole insects ("not counting mites, aphids, thrips, or scale insects"). Yum!

The same amount of Fig Paste is allowed to have up to 13 insect heads. (What about the rest of the insects?)

Pizza sauce can contain up to 30 fly eggs, while the oregano used to add a little extra flavor can contain up to 1 milligram of "mammalian excreta" (yeah, that's right) per pound. And you might want to pass on the mushrooms as well. A 100 gram sample is allowed up to five maggots, two millimeters or longer.

According to the Times Op-Ed Piece, "You’re probably ingesting one to two pounds of flies, maggots and mites each year without knowing it."


(Below: Lunch)


21 Comments:

Blogger Ren @ All By Myshelf said...

Ewwwww!!!! *shudders*

So glad instant pudding wasn't mentioned in this particular post, as I am eating it right now.

*shudders again*

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh! The pic of the kid eating the tarantula was almost enough to make me skip that post. I wish had been enough. XP

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my freakin' god! Oh well, nothing like getting down and dirty!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Invisible Turtle said...

So... vegetarians can't eat these things?

On another note, YES! More protein for me!!! (Pretending it's cool makes it seem less disgusting.)

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahhahah....
I like this.
So it's okay that I ate that insect? ._.

6:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will never eat anything again, except maybe chocolate. ;) On the other hand, people eat chocolate-dipped crickets. (Oh boy. I guess you didn't want to hear that.) And people eat frogs legs. (Chuck Norris eat lizard legs. Hence, snakes.)

7:00 PM  
Blogger Orchid said...

That is just disgusting!!!!!

7:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

only Chuck Norris can use number 1 pencils

7:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely picture.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my friend ate a chocolate covered cricket once. she said that it tasted like a crunch bar.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brothers eat bugs, like, as a hobby. Bluhk! Right now, we have raw honey, which is full of bee wings and wax and junk. It's okay on, like crackers, but it's nasy in tea.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

OH EWW EWWW EWWWW!!! Oo'

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i should have listend to the title ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I already knew this, had already forgotten, and was just reminded. As I ate pizza. :0

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is dicusting. Here is a question: why WOULD anyone alow this? im sure it does not save anyone money. If it does, I dont think it is worth it. EWWW EWW EWW EWW EWW EWW!

10:46 PM  
Blogger falcon said...

even though that's completely disgusting, I'm not REALLY surprised. The only thing that really would bother me would be maggots and rodent hairs. Mold and bugs to me are just a fact of life. But I am sooo glad I almost never eat canned foods (besides soup, and for cooking purposes) because most of that stuff was canned.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Janey said...

Oh gross!!!

Why in the world would they do that? okay maybe I really don't want to know...

7:42 PM  
Blogger JJMcDJ said...

That is the grossest- and weirdest-thing in the world. But I got to say, PRETTY AWESOME! Anyone with me? No? oh well.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Air is Where said...

Yum! Fiber!...and disease.

9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but can i take the time to say EWWWWWW?????? the maggots looked like ........uggghhh......

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pfft what r u guys talking about those little guys are packed with protein and traditionally eaten all over the world

4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home