Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Magnet Mafia





It took me a while to recover from my recent Bigfoot disappointment. (BLAST THOSE SCUM-SUCKING CON MEN!) But I'm okay now. It's time to move on. So today I'm going to profile some people who truly deserve a place on this blog.

Over the past three years, strange works of art have begun showing up on metal surfaces throughout Denver, Colorado (and a few other cities as well). Some are large, others tiny. But all were created by members of a (not so) shadowy organization known as the Magnet Mafia.

The Magnet Mafia are artists who choose to display their work on the streets where everyone can enjoy it. Their medium of choice? Magnets, of course. Which is fabulous. Why? Because it offers all the positives of "graffiti" (it's free, unexpected, and it makes you think) without any of the negatives (vandalism).

It's also really cheap to make, which gives me a few ideas . . .

Visit the Magnet Mafia's website and read more here.

PS: Cheerleaders are people, too!

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, what's with the "cheerleader's are people, too" note at the bottom?

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

;P =) :0 :-) 8) :/

4:21 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

That's soo cool! OoO Anyway... I found Kiki Strike fan art!!! http://adi-sama.de
vian
tart.com/art/kik
i-strike-82768576

Not by me. But it's really good!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Thumb Biter said...

That’s awesome! I have to add that to my list of Things To Do Before I Become Boring, in addition to shop dropping...:D

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i live in NC (asheville), and i have two magnets from the magnet mafia.

6:38 PM  
Blogger the magnetmafia said...

hey! thanks for checkin us out... if anybody wants to help us make magnets or put up magnets in their city, please hit us up for more info! hello[at]magnetmafia.com

7:19 PM  
Blogger Kirsten Miller said...

Anonymous: There seemed to be some confusion in the comments attached to the last post. ;)

Kitty: You're right, that IS cool. Thanks!

8:20 PM  
Blogger liltomboyblue11;) said...

Anonymous: Same here, i missed something.

Awesome! a magnet mafia! I would love some magnets.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet! I live in Denver!

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's BRILLIANT!!!! <3 <3 <3

Jin Ai- What else is on that list?

10:26 AM  
Blogger Thumb Biter said...

Patsee: Haha. Um...I guess everything here: http://kikistrikeny.blogspot.com/2008/01/im-back.html
And...uhh...I'll get back to you on that when I think of something!

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jin Ai- I had forgotten about /that/ list. o.0 Oops.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Ananka! You should eat ice cream out of the carton. That always makes me feel better (though I am kind of sugar-dependant)

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the cheerleading thing... I am sorry about offending anyone. I just don't like the scimpy outfits and the cheerleaders who just yell cheers. I am actually a little jealous of the ones who can do all those awesome flips... think how useful that would be for self defense.

Where can I sign up for the magnet mafia?

8:53 PM  
Blogger Thumb Biter said...

girlskickbutt!!!: if you write them an email they'll send you some magnets, as long as you send them pictures of your artwork. :D

10:07 AM  
Blogger Gabrielle Hass said...

That is way awesome. Plus it's not illegal, so I won't get in trouble... I think I'll try that.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

" I just don't like the scimpy outfits and the cheerleaders who just yell cheers."

Just for the record, we wear turtlenecks at my school. I'm not going to say anything more, Ananka-Kirsten.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that is cool. do you think somebody could start their own magnet "gang", or is it copyrighted?

2:29 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

OMG!!! SADIE! THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT! I really wanna start a Magnet Mafia where I live... We have nothing here... TT-TT

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home