Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It's Summertime, When a Lady's Thoughts Naturally Turn to . . . SHARKS





(Above: I wish I knew whom to credit for this amazing picture.)

So far this summer, four swimmers have been attacked near the Mexican beach resort of Zihuantanejo (not far from Acapulco), and one expert has come up with a macabre explanation. Jose Leonardo Castillo, chief shark investigator for Mexico’s National Fishing Institute, thinks it's possible that the area's sharks "HAVE DEVELOPED A TASTE FOR HUMANS."

This, of course, would contradict the majority of shark experts, who've been trying for years to convince us that sharks aren't fond of human flesh. According to this article at livescience.com, "Humans don't taste good. Sharks prefer blubber. Shark teeth are lined with nerve endings that can sense the calorie-rich blubber of a seal as opposed to the bone and muscle filling most humans."

Likely story. Every halfway intelligent five-year-old knows that humans taste just like chicken.

So it's a good thing that I came across this handy weapon. The WASP Injector Knife has a gas-filled canister inside its handle. Should you encounter one of the beasts of the deep, one quick jab will inject the shark with a painful pocket of gas and force it float to the surface of the ocean.

Make sure you strap one to your ankle before you jump on that surfboard. Or, at the very least, cook up a bit of homemade shark repellent. (I love Mike Rowe from the show Dirty Jobs.)

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1st Comment?
OMG that is so creepy! Sharks are like mutating to eat humans... probaly because there is so many of us! AH! And I live right off the coast of Cali, in the red triangle! (The red triangle is a name for places that have some of the most Great White Sharks in the world!!!!!!!!)

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, awesome pic too!

11:09 AM  
Blogger liltomboyblue11;) said...

yay! nature fights back!!! (jk) although the picture is really awesome.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Kitty said...

Maybe the sharks are eating people 'cuz there aren't any fish that tastes good in the area? ?o? Or is it that people are getting fatter by the second? OoO I hope not!!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

You know what? I think that they should make more sharkfin soup outta those sharks! XD jk jk jk

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But I was just thinking... you know whats hypocritic? Were all saying things like ahh! Bad sharks! Don't eat that poor innocent human! But were not all that innocent. We totally messed up nature and kill way more things then all the sharks in the world!

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'm Mike Rowe, and this, is my job."

And the sharks thing? I don't really know what to say...

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome knife, I want to have it! (a) Lucky me, there are no sharks here, otherwise I wouldn't go swimming today.. ;P
And the pic is great, must have been scary taking it :S


Hmm... It's a long time since I med a comment, bad me! <3 Well, now I'm back...Thanks to summer vacation, schools great, but you don't have time for so much other stuff.. Höh :3

Btw, I love Dirty Jobs, they are sending it here every saturday (I think, maybe they are sending it in different times during the summer vacaction *note-to-self: find out when dirty jobs is on discovery*) but I havn't seen that episode yet.. You get the programmes before us *sigh* I wan't to see it and the video is messing it up for me, I DOSN'T work... Stupid computer... >:(

2:28 AM  
Blogger Random Irregular said...

I think that it's a bit like bears. If they've tasted human(yum-not), then they'll go after us. If not, don't provoke them!

I've only seen one episode of Dirty Jobs. The dude had to wok at a sewerage plant and the lady had to do some hooha thing with cow pats or some other blah.

7:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sekrit7, i agree.

-liltomboyblue

6:05 PM  
Blogger mintyfresh2233 said...

mike rowe rocks

8:43 PM  
Blogger mintyfresh2233 said...

and i agree with sekrit7

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wouldn't want to be the person who took that picture. aHaagh!

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

woah...

good thing i'm going to the gulf of mex this summer. hehe... wouldnt exactly want to be eaten by a shark while visiting my stepgrampa.

ps: im bored.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Kiki, nice & funny post. The WASP Injector Knife sounds like one crazy weapon!

I noticed you said you love Mike Rowe... did you know he's doing a special with Dirty Jobs for Shark Week 2008? It's coming up soon! It airs on Tuesday, July 29th, at 9PM and will follow Mike's expedition to the Arctic for the Greenland Shark.

By the way, I hope you don't mind me contacting you like this... it sounds like you'd really be into Shark Week so I figure I should inform you. If you'd like to know more, feel free to contact me... I work with Discovery and have the inside scoop. Nice blog you have here... and have a great day!

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home