Friday, June 13, 2008

Lakshmi the Goddess





You may have noticed that I don't usually post about people who've been born physically "different" from the rest of us. Although I think all human differences should be embraced, I find many such stories to be in bad taste. So I didn't write about a little Indian girl named Lakshmi when I first became aware of her existence many months ago.

See Lakshmi was born with eight limbs. The extra four belonged to what's known as a "parasitic twin"--a sister with whom Lakshmi had fused in her mother's womb. (The same condition that accounted for the case of the girl with a twin in her stomach, which I wrote about last week.)

When the news about Lakshmi first broke, she was facing a very complicated surgery, and there was a very good chance she might die. I didn't think it would be a good idea to post about her, but even then, I found her story quite moving. You see, instead of treating Lakshmi like a freak, the people of her village in India believed she was an incarnation of her namesake--the eight-limbed goddess Lakshmi (shown above)--and revered her accordingly.

Lakshmi's surgery was a success, and she's now a healthy, happy little girl. Tonight, the television show 20/20 will have a segment on the previously eight-limbed girl, and you can read more about her (and see a short video) here on the ABC News website.


17 Comments:

Blogger Thumb Biter said...

I loved that story! But I couldn't find any pictures :P Thanks for posting it!

LOL I just read the last blog post again xD Instead of cute/fluffy/gross/gruesome, why not dangerous, admirable, and amazing? haha. Isn't that the point of this blog? (Besides interesting. But then everything here is!)

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Were you just threatening us when you said you'd pile all things cute and cuddly on us? If you were, that wasn't very nice. ^.^ j/k

There was a different girl born in India awhile back who had two faces. They revered her as a goddess as well.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Kirsten Miller said...

Jin Ai: Yes, that will be my focus from now on. BTW: Nope, wasn't on the UES on Monday. Did you think you saw me? I have many doppelgangers.

Patsee: Who said I was nice? heh heh

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

can she walk?

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about marijuana to remind me of the shop I used to walk past on my way to school? xD

2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor twin!

3:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really do love this story. It's wonderful how people have accepted her, and even turned her disability into something as positive as possible.
I knew about this before too, but only saw pictures through an ultrasound of the mother's womb, I think. xD It's nice to see her actually alive.

On another, unrelated note, zombies invaded Melbourne. Enjoy! :)

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=580154

5:15 AM  
Blogger Random Irregular said...

I read about this. She was hailed as a reincarnation in her village.
I remember reading a story about these boys born in India with one body. Their parents made money out of them, 'cause they were 'freaks.' Sad, isn't it?

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what did her village think of her after the surgery (?)? was she still a goddess, or just a little girl? do you know? am i asking too many questions?

7:19 AM  
Blogger Random Irregular said...

Zombie Shuffle in Melbourne! Hordes of zombies walk in the city. Deadyly Cool

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=580154

(Ananka, I just had to tell you, becasue even though I've got it up on my blog, your blog has wider 'coverage' to people[more people see it] and this is just too good to ignore!)

7:25 AM  
Blogger Kirsten Miller said...

Anonymous #1: Thanks for the tip! I've always thought the smell of freshly-cut grass is the best smell in the world.

Hazel: Ha ha.

Anonymous: Yes, she can walk now. Amazing, isn't it?

Raph & RI: Thanks for the tip!

ss chick: Yes, some of her neighbors still consider her a goddess.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only there was a goddess of really long tangly hair:)rofl!!!

1:26 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

How will Lakshmi wear pants or walk when she's older?? OoO

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOW CAN SHE USE THE BATHROOM!?

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad she's got the normal number of limbs now, and I hope her neighbors come to realize she's just an ordinary girl. It would be awful if people expected her to do miracles and then she couldn't, everyone would get so hurt and disappointed.

=) Unless she truly is a goddess, of course.

3:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i hope lakshmi lives poor thing . . .

bout a year or two ago in the us there was a girl with 4 arms (cool
) but sadly they got rid of the extra ones . . .

um could you please drop a hint on the next book???? (preaty please . . . with a cherry on top?)

8:00 PM  
Blogger Irregular Kiki said...

I'm so happy she's okay now. It's kind of hard to believe, someone having more than two legs...

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home