Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Amphibious Islands








(All images by pixelab.)

Scientists say that if the average temperature of the world's ocean rises by just one degree, the resulting rise in water level will flood coastal cities around the world. (Including New York!) Where will the inhabitants go? One architect, Vincent Callebaut, has devoted himself to finding a solution.

He has designed LILYPAD, an amphibious, self-sustaining city modeled after the round, flat leaves of giant floating lilies. Each LILYPAD could accommodate 50,000 inhabitants. A central lagoon would collect and purify rainwater while the structure's three "mountains" would house facilities for work, shopping, and entertainment. LILYPAD is also designed to be so energy efficient that it would be able to supply energy to nearby countries and cities.

It sounds cool and looks even better. But I hope they're never necessary. I'd much rather stay on the island of Manhattan.

See more here.


16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is sooooo completely totally awesome!!!!!!!! the design of the islands, i mean, not worldwide flooding

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It'd be sorta like Atlantis before it sunk!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Invisible Turtle said...

If NYC flooding sounds bad, what about the entire state of New Jersey? I heard something about global warming that said we'd be sunk if a tsunami ever hit. And isn't global warming supposed to make more storms come?
On the other hand, I wouldn't miss NJ too much if I got to live on a LILYPAD. They have internet connection, right?

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is way cool! i hope they're not nessacary but i would totally live on one!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

That... Is... Soo... COOL! OoO

1:30 PM  
Blogger Thumb Biter said...

Awesome! Of course, Manhattan would be the first to go in that case; I hope we won't have to resort to those islands.

PS: SAVE ME!! My mom came up with a summer schedule for me. I get about five hours of work daily (not including breaks!). Someone give me something to do outside the house that I can somehow pass off as "educational!!" (IE, looking for hidden houses? I only know of a few in NY, so if you have any ideas, please help me!)

2:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jin ai, try going 2 a museum (a cool one) or something or go "work" in a cafe, in the park or at a friends house or something

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They should still buy build them 'cus of the over population of people...and if they're so energy aficient....then why not?!?!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Kirsten Miller said...

Jin Ai: Oh dear. My mother used to do stuff like that to me, too. Except I ended up doing really terrible things like hauling gravel or cleaning toilets.

I'll think up something.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Sarah Strike said...

I think I would live there. Flooding not good, though.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's awesome, but it kinda freaks me out that peopele are preparing for global warming to take away all of that. it should be prevented first.

-liltomboyblue

6:57 PM  
Blogger Invisible Turtle said...

Jin ai: Study squirrel (or other wildlife) behavior or something? You'd just have to write what it does and then you can do whatever you want for the rest of the time. Maybe you could even go to a zoo.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, that would be so completely and TOTALLY cool!!!!!!!

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tooooooooooo cooooooooolllllllll

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its a beautiful desighn id enjoy living there :)

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was wondering, since you live in new york, have you ever heard of the sixth borough? this reminds me of it...

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home