Saturday, November 24, 2007

Oberto Airaudi's Secret Underground Temples





(Above: You'd never guess what lies beneath this house.)

Fifteen years ago, the police showed up at the door of Italian eccentric Oberto Airaudi. They'd heard a rumor that he might be building something beneath his house, and they wanted to see what it was. Airaudi reluctantly guided them to a secret door. When it opened, the police officers could barely believe their eyes. They were standing inside a circular chamber lavishly decorated with carved pillars, mosaic floors, and stunning murals.




As they explored the rest of the subterranean complex, the police discovered nine enormous and opulent rooms, each stranger and more beautiful than the next. Together they compose what's now know as the Temples of Damanhur--and what some people call the "Eighth Wonder of the World."




A former insurance salesman, Airaudi claims he began having visions of the beautiful temples when he was only ten years old. A few decades later, he purchased a house on a remote, rocky hillside and set out to make his visions a reality. With the help of a few volunteers, Airaudi spent more than 16 years secretly burrowing into the mountain. By the time the police arrived one day in the early 1990s, Airaudi and his friends had created the largest underground temple on Earth.

According to Airaudi, "[The temples] are to remind people that we are all capable of much more than we realize and that hidden treasures can be found within every one of us once you know how to access them." I think I like him.




You can read the original London Daily Mail article (and see more amazing pictures) here--or visit the temples by clicking here.

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so amaxing. I can't believe that. It is so beautiful. Wow. Hey guys, anybody want to start a comment chain? Like on this post, we could keep commenting? That would be hecka cool, eh?

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"[The temples] are to remind people that we are all capable of much more than we realize and that hidden treasures can be found within every one of us once you know how to access them."

How breath-takingly beautiful. Thank you for sharing this one.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Spring said...

AMAZING! Why doesn't my house have secret underground tunnels or something. I REALLY would love that... My house was built in the 1890's. Aren't old houses supposed to have secret passageways?

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sniff... They're in Italy, apparently! Wah... I hate living on Saturn! ;)

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always wished my house had at LEAST a secret space in back of the closet. No luck so far.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Ariana said...

I know where I want to visit when/if we ever go to Italy.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Spring said...

When I visited Fort Collin, CO (my Aunt lives there) my aunts friend had this REALLY REALLY (times a thousand) cool tunnel place. It was so cool!

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't we all want some secret space to ourselves? Those are SO beautiful. Gorgeous.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After decoding my sister message:"*!\ , ${ ( ={\ *!'% \*!\
I think it is: What y do i no have that... Why am I decoding her messages to tell you!? She has a laptop! She can just post herself! I am off to find chocolate.

4:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is pretty impressive. I can hardly imagine building something so amazing. I wonder how long he had to save up to be able to afford it.

4:48 PM  
Blogger Carry No Seal said...

He should offer tours to the less worthy! Gah! I need an underground temple in my backyard.

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ONE DAY!!! ONE is all I miss and sudenlly there all these wicked posts...

3:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! That should be the 8th wonder!

I really want to have some thing like that:)

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! amazing, my house doesn't have anything cool that's man made, BUT I do have this amazing view of the flatirons, and the city i live in is laid out before me like a swrawling tapastry of chiaroscuro read 'ther tale of despereax to understand) sorry im being to poetic see if you can see the face

-0-0-
* u *
P.S. sorry i haven't talk to you for a while ananka, my parents tabooed the computer for 2 weeks because i have an A- in language art, this taboo ended when i expained i still have the second highest grade in the class

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ginny,

An A-? What's the world coming to? You must be a genius if that seems like a bad grade. And what's this about wearing a uniform to public school? How great! I often wish I didn't have to pick out clothes every morning. (I'm more of an evening person.)

BTW: It must be great to have a view of the flatirons. (And I do know where they are!)

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi ananka ,
i'm glad you know where the flatiorons are.
-(O)-(O)- (tired person wearing glasses)

P.S. if ever you come to the home of the flatirons, check out the aerial dance company called frequent flyers , they rock! I love climbing up to a 25 foot tall ceiling on fabric! ;{ (Mustache guy)

10:10 PM  
Blogger Micci said...

He BUILT that?!

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home