Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The Case of the Pink Sheep





So I thought I'd follow up that last post with a little light-hearted controversy. Seems Madonna recently allowed the sheep that graze on the land near her home in the English countryside to be dyed pink, green, and yellow for a fashion photo shoot. Now animal-rights groups are up in arms, claiming that the hairdos might have caused the animals unnecessary stress.

However, the editor of Sheep! magazine (can you believe such things exist?) says that dyeing sheep doesn't harm the animals any more than an afternoon at the salon would harm the average human. In fact, farmers often paint their sheep's wool so their flocks can be easily identified.

I'm not a big fan of harming animals (to say the least), but this seems like a lot of nonsense. In fact, I think the sheep look kind of cute. (Feel free to argue.)

The Guardian newspaper appears to agree with me. It even offers handy tips for those who'd like to dye a sheep themselves. The trick? Using "a non-toxic vegetable dye [that's] applied with a sponge or silent spray." If only there were still sheep grazing in Central Park! (They were kicked out in the 1930s.)

Read more here.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weeeeeeeird!
We should campaign to get the sheep back in Central Park! Kicking them out is animal cruelty!

8:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay i love sheep there soooo cute especially these ones again feel free to argue, sorry ananka but I think LOL cats are cute and the the U-tube mockumentery about "the history of LOL cats" is just plain funny)

8:38 PM  
Blogger Queen Of Useless Information said...

OMG! THE SHEEP DON'T CARE!!!!!

9:57 PM  
Blogger Carry No Seal said...

Wow, it reminds me of cotton candy! Interesting, now when I'm driving, someone in the car'll yell "OMG LOOK IT'S RAINBOW SHEEP!"

10:08 PM  
Blogger Spring said...

SHEEP magazine? That's so weird...

9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totally agree w/ catgirl. they're still alive and healthy, and i don't know about you but i always get a little stressed after i get my hair done=]

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and i LOVED the LOL cats!

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's kind of sad there are people out there who give any care at all to the FREAKING *COLOUR* of sheep wool, isn't there a million other causes out there to be fighting for?? I don't know, hunger, AIDs, genocide, abortion, how about the little girls who get sold into sex trafficing!!?! and these people care about is dying sheep wool. there are much bigger problems out there people...

1:16 PM  
Blogger Ariana said...

Awww...
Cute sheep! Some one should take the wool and make multi-coloured yarn!

6:42 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

The new fab: NEON PINK SHEEP! That is soo friggin' weird! >.<' Since I live near the countryside there are some sheep. I wonder when they'll turn pink...

7:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

theatre , i love your coment it's true causes like school shootings, global warming, and murder should be more important than dyeing a sheeps wool pink when it doesn't bother, stress or hurt them.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sort of agree. But pink sheep?

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if they have Sheep! magazine at the library...

I would love to dye my sheep (ifI had any) bright yellow with black smiley faces.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, that's so funny. If I had a sheep, I would have fun dyeing it :)

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home