Wednesday, December 17, 2008

So Cute. So Delicious.





Kidding! I would never nibble on such adorable creatures. And neither would a lot of Germans, it seems.

You see, the wild piggies shown above make their home in the bustling city of Berlin. In recent years, thousands of their friends and loved ones have invaded the German capital, rooting up parks, gardens, soccer fields, and cemeteries. Some experts estimate that there are 7,000 wild pigs living in Berlin today.

The gun-packing urban hunters hired by the government to deal with the invasion have found themselves faced with a formidable opponent. "Some swine know the city better than we do," said one hunter. "They know every gap in a fence, every abandoned building they can hide in." And to make matters worse, the human citizens of Berlin appear to be on the pigs' side. According to the Wall Street Journal, Berlin's urban hunters have been branded "murderers," beaten with sticks, and had their tires slashed. Some citizens love the animals so much that they choose to break the law and leave food for them at night!

I'm not sure I'd go that far. Would you? Check out the article from the WSJ, which is accompanied by an awesome slide show and video.

14 Comments:

Blogger Ren @ All By Myshelf said...

Awww, the little baby pigs are soooo CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love baby piggies, it's the only time they're cute.

"I gotta go, pig, I'll see you later. I GOTTA GO, PIG, I'LL SEE YOU LATER!" GiR, Invader Zim XD

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SO DARN CUTE. I'm on the pigs' side, too!

I have relatives in Berlin. I must ask them if they've seen any lately!

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sense Ms. Miller got to ask a question, I'd like to too.

Clarence Anglin, John Anglin, and Frank Morris. Dead, or alive?

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have creatures like them in Tucson, AZ. They're called javelinas and they eat our halloween pumpkins every year. They sound and look almost exactly like those wild pigs.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yew-Are you talking about the escape form Alcatraz? I love that movie, what makes the movie so good is that it's a true story. From what I've read it sounds like Frank Morris and the Anglin bros. did not survive, but I like to think that they are still out there somewhere. =)

10:09 PM  
Blogger Kirsten Miller said...

Yew: I vote alive. What about DB Cooper?

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHA!!!
I live in Berlin (now for a year in Australia) and there werde SO MUCH PIGS EVERYWHERE!
On the way to school the cars had to stop, in the night they where in our garden (terrible now!) and they ate whatever they found...
Like the rats in New York, thats an invasion!

2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Cooper, along with the Alcatraz convicts, is alive.

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta say, they're pretty darn cute, but wild boar sausage is pretty darn good, too.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

X3 THAT'S ADORABLE!!! Don't 'cha just wanna hug them to death!?

11:39 PM  
Blogger Irregular Kiki said...

I love how animals get along with humans. Animals are very intelligent! It makes me happy, yet scared... [omg there's a chicken 'bawk'ing on tv!!!]

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG, it's like Manhattan's pigeons!! Well, kind of. They've overrun the city at least...

3:27 PM  
Blogger liltomboyblue11;) said...

That's awesome! XD I love pigs!

6:13 PM  
Blogger Nico said...

anyone know why guinea pigs are called guinea pigs? 'cause they are from guinea and in guinea they use them for bacon and stuff. poor guinea pigs. :(

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home