Thursday, August 28, 2008

My NEXT Vacation: The Mayan Underworld





Yes, I'm back in good old New York, where the streets still smell like summer. (Which is a heavenly mixture of rancid garbage and urine in case you're wondering.)

For the past five days, I've been in the Bahamas--trying to figure out what REALLY makes their sand pink, avoiding sharks and wandering through creepy Caribbean graveyards (see below). What's making some of the graves in the picture rise, I'd like to know? I have a feeling you'll be reading about this cemetery in one of my books someday.

But while I'm all for sunbathing and relaxing, I think I'm ready for some serious adventure. So the next time I have a few days off, I'm heading down to Mexico's Yucatan Penninsula where archaeologists have discovered a real-life portal to Xibalba, the mythical Mayan underworld.

Deep underground lies a complex of caves that the Mayans believed was the route souls took to the underworld. At least eleven stone temples line the way--some underwater and others filled with human bones.

According to one archaeologist, ancient Mayan texts said the dead followed a dog along a path, "filled with obstacles, including rivers filled with scorpions, blood and pus and houses shrouded in darkness or swarming with shrieking bats."

Now THAT sounds like fun to me!

Read more here and here.


12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

**first comment**?
Sounds pleasant.XD

7:17 PM  
Blogger Spring said...

cool!

9:51 PM  
Blogger Kitty said...

OoO NOT FAIR!! I wanna go soo badly... TT-TT Sounds soo interesting... But how'll you sneak in? ^-^b Good luck!! Take pictures when you go!

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a cool place
to hang out! I wounder what kind of obstacles they took.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, about the picture of the grave yard it makes me think that the bodies are right there and they just covered it with dirt!

1:08 PM  
Blogger International Mastermind said...

Oh my god I am not even kidding--I JUST (I really mean just) got back from Riviera Maya in Mexico!!!!! Oh why didn't I know about this beforehand...:(

9:16 AM  
Blogger liltomboyblue11;) said...

IM: so that's where your mission was?
This is pretty cool.... is anyone else here desperate for fall? I am soooo ready for it! It's so hot, and I love halloween, so i just want summer to go away! X(

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so cool

i think that adds another place to the underground list if it counts for the dead!!

i think the bodys are coming up, like when a septic tank is empty and it rains, it seems to come up out of the ground-it floats-
maybey it is the same concept??

3:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It sounds intresting, and very scary. I wouldn't want to go. -_-'

11:51 PM  
Blogger Persephone said...

You're right! It DOES sound fun!

4:35 PM  
Blogger Persephone said...

and saukura: what sounds scary?

4:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Persephone:

" Yucatan Penninsula where archaeologists have discovered a real-life portal to Xibalba, the mythical Mayan underworld.

Deep underground lies a complex of caves that the Mayans believed was the route souls took to the underworld. At least eleven stone temples line the way--some underwater and others filled with human bones.

According to one archaeologist, ancient Mayan texts said the dead followed a dog along a path, "filled with obstacles, including rivers filled with scorpions, blood and pus and houses shrouded in darkness or swarming with shrieking bats." "

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home