Sunday, November 28, 2010

Can a Food Be So Gross That It's CRUEL to Serve It?





American readers should be familiar with the Eighth Amendment to the US Constitution, which prohibits "cruel and unusual punishments."

When I think of the Eighth Amendment, I usually imagine torture techniques like drawing and quartering or being burnt at the stake. But there are some folks who believe there's a certain food that's so disgusting that feeding it to imprisoned criminals constitutes cruel and unusual punishment. It's not a toxic or rotten food. It's healthy and wholesome. Just unbelievably disgusting.

It's called Nutraloaf. According to this fascinating article, it's often served to prisoners who misuse food or bodily waste.

Want the recipe? (I'm talking to you, Remy.) Well here it is! Bon Appetit!

(I'm pretty sure my mother used to make this.)

8 Comments:

Blogger Erin_Flight said...

I thought the last sentence of the article was ver true. "The sad part is that about 25% of the world's population would think this is the best thing they've ever eaten."
Many people around the world eat much much worse things and are happy with it. Its sad how in America people complain about things they are given.
I could see a complaint if it was a hard working person who was given that or a school child who did well but had to suffer eating that but not someone who is in prison for committing crimes.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

I'm a little confused, because on the website it says it is Nutraloaf, but this article calls it Nutriloaf. Clarification?

6:57 PM  
Blogger Kirsten Miller said...

My mistake. Thanks, Alicia.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Melmelmelon said...

It doesn't seem that bad... Owo' Kinda reminds me of this disgusting-ness wise:
http://bit.ly/bmHH1A

8:05 PM  
Blogger Reel Dancer said...

I also think quite a few things served to my fellow classmates and I in elementary should be on that list.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Reel Dancer said...

The Remmy kid should try this.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kirsten, you haven't tried my mother's marmalade meatloaf!

also,
"The sad part is that about 25% of the world's population would think this is the best thing they've ever eaten."

this is sad :C

12:17 AM  
Anonymous D. M. said...

Remy's dad here. Thanks for featuring him on your blog! I'll pass along your suggestion:)

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home