Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Hollywood Goats





If you're a long-time reader of this blog, then you might be aware of my fondness for goats. My family owned three (Bucky, Sophie, and Melissa) when I was growing up, and I found them delightful. Before they all met tragic ends (don't ask), they provided an important service--their insatiable appetites prevented the dreaded kudzu vine from swallowing my house!

Ah, memories. But today I was reading through the LA Times, when I discovered the lovely photo above. It seems one hundred goats have been set loose in downtown Los Angeles, where they act as a cheap, ecologically-friendly landscaping team. If only New York had a herd or two!

Check out more pictures here.

PS: I accidentally deleted some of your comments this morning when I was still half asleep! I'm so sorry! So if you don't see one of your comments, please don't be offended.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lolz! thats hilarious. why use a lawn mower when you can import goats!? when my family was in SD, my cousin almost got bucked.

Kirsten, you should make an irregular FaceBook page.

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeee! That's hysterical! (Poor goats of yours.)

8:47 PM  
Blogger Tammie said...

That is is cute! I cant imagine randomly seeing goats.Hmm now i want one awww

9:12 PM  
Blogger missterious said...

Hey! that happened where I live! It was awesome.

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha! that is a lolz!

11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so cool. Apparently you can also use some kinds of turtles, but you lose the petting-zoo factor.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats hilarious! I love it!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Kitty said...

SQUEE!!! Goats!! XD lol, I like goats too

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ananka, I made your blog my homepage. Now you are only one click away!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Kirsten Miller said...

Kiel: I've got a Kiki Strike page. Does that count?

Hazel: I am so honored!

2:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kirsten: yah, you're right. there are so many Irregular devoted accounts!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Oakland (CA) it's not uncommon to see goats grazing on the hills, either.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

poor Melissa, Bucky, and Sophie!
I absolutely love goats as well! :D

8:22 PM  
Blogger liltomboyblue11;) said...

Oh my gosh! Goat lovers, Unite! I <3 goats, ever since I met my granny's old goat when I was 5. But then again I fall in love with almost all animals.... :) That is really cool, when I was younger there were about 2 months in which I was obsessed with Kudzu. I almost wrote a book about it.... Kudzu is actually very useful once you look over the fact that it take over everything. It can be used as a corn starch substitute, and there a woman who owns a kudzu farm with these goats. She grows it then makes it into baskets. The worst thing though, is that it's almost impossible to kill.

10:55 AM  
Blogger Irregular Kiki said...

I wish all friendly animals would just hang around like that. Why do some people treat animals with no respect? I can't believe what they do to chickens, making them lay more than one egg a day and squashing them in cages where they can't move.
I am totally in love with animals.

SAY NO TO ANIMAL CRUELTY!

8:17 AM  
Blogger liltomboyblue11;) said...

Irregular Kiki: Hello kindred spirit!!!!

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home