Friday, November 16, 2007

I Will NEVER Set Foot in Obereichstaett





Today's two posts are intended to make you feel really great about your own hometown. Maybe you'll decide that you could live with New Delhi's monkey problem (below), but I can guarantee that you'd never, EVER want to move to the German town of Obereichstaett.

That's because every autumn, the village is overwhelmed by swarms of MILLIPEDES. (On a personal note, I once lived in a house that was infested with millipedes. I had to shake out my shoes every morning. Nothing--monkeys, rats, cockroaches, or leeches--could possibly be worse than millipedes.)

One villager described last year's infestation. "You couldn't take a step without crushing a dozen underfoot. The smell was disgusting." Now the town has erected a wall to keep the creepy-crawlies out. It hasn't worked as well as they'd hoped. Every night, the insects can be seen slithering around the wall in droves.

Read more about it here in the Daily Telegraph (London).

(I just found this picture on CNN. What is that girl thinking?)


10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ananka! You know I hate bugs! Don't make me tell you another story! I doubt you'll ever be able to say that you're eating a millipede! Can't get past that, can you? I think I'll write a book corresponding to all your repulsive postings! Mwaaa haa haaaaaaaaa! I am dubious however that I can ever gross you out. Any one who likes giant squid had to be pretty darn impenerable. fooy:(

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

.......millipedes are cute.....

8:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That pretty strange did they find what was acctracting the millipedes to the city?? -nina-

11:06 PM  
Blogger International Mastermind said...

Eew...
I can picture and hear the crunching. Yuk.
I've held millipedes before. I love how they have smooth, hard, dark shells.
And their feet tickle :)

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice... I'd LOVE to have a millipede crawl on my arm... especially if I was asleep!;)

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, GROSS!

On an unrelated note: Have you checked out a book called "The Daring Book for Girls"? A visitor to my blog recommended it to me and it sounds incroyable---right up your alley!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Spring said...

hem hem (OH NO!!!! I sound like Umbridge!) I'd probably be crazy like that girl and hold a millipede.

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you seen this headline yet?

" Scientists find fossil of enormous bug"
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071121/ap_on_sc/biggest_bug_ever

It was once an 8-foot scorpion. Gah.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Ak said...

hello ananka

just wanted to let u know that i lived my childhood up until i was 18 yrs in obereichstaett and never seen that bug in my life!! lol so u are welcome to move to OBEI but u might find it a bit boring just a little village with not even a train stopping there anymore (maybe because of the many buggs lol)

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live there and I have no idea how the story made it´s way around the world, it wasn´t that bad at all, just a bunch of small insects.

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home