Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Manhattan's Mosaic Man





(Above: Photo from Lorcan Otway at Flickr)

For the past twenty years, an artist named Jim Power has been creating beautiful mosaics throughout the East Village neighborhood of Manhattan. Accompanied by his trusty dog, Jesse Jane, he painstakingly glues shards of glass, pottery, and tile to lampposts and buildings, forming colorful patterns and messages.

Mr. Power's goal? “[To] take the anxiety out of the world with beauty.” If you ask me, he's succeeded--and he's managed to do it with very little money. At times, he's even lived on the streets. But he's still not finished with the 80 mosaics he originally planned. So a neighborhood group has begun organizing donations to help Mr. Power finish his "mosaic trail."

The mosaics are very special for me. I remember first seeing them years ago and being completely charmed. Now there are a few only blocks from my house. And every time I spot one, it makes me smile. I can't think of a better way to spend a little money than to donate to Mr. Power's cause.

Read more here.

9 Comments:

Blogger Spring said...

Cool! (Notice I say that to everything.)

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really, really nice. (: We need him in Sydney.

Kirsten, I can imagine you smiling at those mosaics every time you pass them (I would too).
And great alliteration in the title. xD

Maybe I should move to NYC. I've always liked the sound of New York's Soho, Greenwich Village, East Village and Chinatown. How's the rent there these days?

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! thats pretty inspiring. i wonder if you need permission to do that.

5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome!

7:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. When I was little (and still now) I wanted to buy a house and paint all over it with different pictures and stuff. Or mosaics?

7:30 PM  
Blogger Pearl said...

that reminds me of a graphic novel I read called Plain Janes (People Loving Art In Neighborhoods)

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raphael: Rent? Whoa. You don't even want to know! But you picked great neighborhoods. The East Village and Chinatown are the most affordable of the bunch.

Maddi: You should get permission--though I doubt the mosaic man ever did. Fortunately, if it LOOKS like art New York's authorities don't usually hassle you.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally doing a mixed medium for Scolastics :)

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to live in Chinatown. I could just spend hours wandering through the streets... getting lost ;) maybe buying a brocade halter top or two...

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home