Monday, October 08, 2007

If You Can't Beat Them, Eat Them





Every year, parts of Australia are overrun by brown bogong moths. Now one chef is proposing a novel way to deal with the pests: He's encouraging Australians to eat them.

According to Paul Bruneteau, the moths (which can be gathered from most windowsills this time of year) taste a bit like hazelnut-flavored popcorn. He suggests plucking off their wings and frying them in canola oil--or (get this) putting them in a coffee grinder and sprinkling the powder over pancakes.

Of course if you're feeling a little lazy, you can always just toss a couple straight into your mouth. But try not to go overboard. You'd think something so gross would be good for you. But it seems 3 ounces of moth abdomen have as much fat as a Big Mac (oh, and a little arsenic from all the pesticides they consume.)

Read more here. Bon Appetit!

(Above: Dinner)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! All of that moth-butt is going straight to my hips!!!

11:17 AM  
Blogger Spring said...

If I ever go to Australia this time of year, I've GOT to try some gourmet bogong moths!!! I heard of this one restaurant in California uses edible bugs in the food! (like cockroaches, eeeek!!!)

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, it's official. You guys are hilarious.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seaworld sells cricket lollipops... (or used to anyways, haven't been there in a really long time)

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

personally, I like butterflies, I mean they offer so much more crunch.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Ariana said...

Ha!
We have bugs that are kind of like that where I live. My friend's aunt tought at a school where they had problems with too many of the little kids eating them at recess.

4:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gag Eating moths thats terible!Kirsten I agree. Oh, I'm rereading the Shadow City and it's amasing what I missed!

6:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home