Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Most Dangerous State



If you're the sort of person who enjoys living on the edge, I recommend you move to Florida. That's right, the state that's home to Disney World, Shamu, and probably your grandpa is my pick for the most dangerous state in the USA. It's true that other states have higher crime rates and less hospitable climates. But in Florida, nature attacks. I'm not talking about the hurricanes or lightning strikes. (Florida leads the nation in both.) I'm talking about the kind of nature that jumps out of a pond, grabs you by the arm and drags you underwater. Here's my evidence.

1. Giant grasshoppers have recently taken over at least one Florida community. (Watch the amusing video here. I wouldn't want to tick-off the woman with the bb gun.)

2. On Monday, an eleven-foot, one-eyed gator sprang out of a pond in Venice, Florida, and pulled a golfer underwater. (Find out what happened here.)

3. Enormous pythons (pets that have been set free) now make their home in the Florida everglades. Some grow large enough to feed on alligators, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind snacking on a human from time to time. (See a truly disgusting picture here.)

4. Giant, poisonous cane toads. (Boy, those toads get around.) Bob cats. Six different kinds of venomous snakes. And do I even need to mention the SHARKS?

5. But no other Florida species compares to the Swamp Ape. Though they're not necessarily prone to violence, seeing one would be enough to give you a heart attack. (Not familiar with the Swamp Ape? Watch this fabulous, two-part documentary and check out the photo below.)


8 Comments:

Blogger LittleChar said...

i guess i'll take pennsacola college off my application list!

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with theatre.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never thought Florida was the most dangerous.

7:28 PM  
Blogger CosimaCat said...

I wonder: Which is more dangerous, Mexico City (kidnappings, extreme poverty, really really really big) or Florida?

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Mexico City's pretty nuts from what I've heard (and seen in Denzel Washington movies). But do they have THIS?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/04/070417-snake-pictures.html

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I happen to LIVE in Florida thank-you-very-much!

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess that just makes you braver than the rest of us!

8:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Florida too. Ananka forgot to metion it's like attack of the lizerds here. You can't walk outside without at least 5 lizerd surry under your feet. :)

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home